Friday, November 24, 2017

Give Group a Chance?

I have been contemplating going to a support group for parents of children with autism.  The thought crosses my mind while I drive from OT, or the psychologist.  I just don't know that I want that.  I spend my time, at therapies, and consoling violent melt downs.  Going to a group and talking about how hard that is, just seems like the last thing that could help me.  Instead I go out with my friends, I listen to audio books and watch too much television. Mostly all fine, accept when I am kept up wondering about the future in ways that no one else can fathom.

First off, I am not the super together type A. soccer mom.  I feel sort of out of step with other moms. I am shy to make friends based on the sole motivation that our kids play together.  What if they stop getting along?  What if I don't get along with her, and now our kids are best friends?  Also being a chronic over thinker, makes me sort of awkward.  I mean imagine going through the process of talking to a mother about how your child told hers that he was "going to be forced to kill them" before you plan the play date.  I am both present and distant in every moment.

So today after a week in which we have had to talk to the police, and my son has been yelling obscenities at his teachers.  9 Dr. appointments, 1 trip to the ER, and a meeting at the school.  I am driving home, I am thinking about my sons future, and wondering if I am doing more harm than good. How long I can sustain this unemployed, waiting on my child lifestyle.  I am imagining my son screaming that he wants to die at his principle.  I then think of the gridlocked pained looks I get from teachers, and I think I need to go to a group.  I need to look at someone and say "I am not sure my son will ever be a fully functioning adult." and not be met with a look of sadness and "he's so smart, your doing a great job. you have to believe in him" it stings, it crushes me.

The big thing holding me back are summed up in,  it sounds so exhausting.  I am always second, or even 5th. Whether it be a dentist appointment, a job, a pair of shoes without holes, I am never #1.  A support group would be one more thing in the long list of ME things that I don't get.  My son is not like a lot of other children with autism, so it can feel like I am screaming into the void, he's not just quirky, and he's also not totally non verbal. Most of what I experience gets relegated to disciplinary arguments. "you should spank him", or something along the lines of he's just being manipulative.

All of that aside.  I have never tried, so I need to set my own tendencies aside.  I need to trust people, and not judge them so harshly.   I am going to find a support group.  I am going to go to more than one meeting.  I will be open minded.  I will resist my tendency to be cynical and judgmental.


Please comment if you have experience with support groups, please leave a comment about it. Follow on Twitter as well.








No comments:

Post a Comment